09 October 2008

My Self-Portrait

It is a question as to how you wish others to view you. Because when you make a self-portrait, you have control of everything. How you look, what perspective you show, how creative the shot is, etc. It is no longer simply your image on the photograph portraying your personality, but also the photograph itself. So the image that follows is an attempt at a self-portrait. When I first took it, I don't think I put as much thought into the image as I am now, but I believe it still works.

First of all, it is not framed exactly perfect. The edges of the side view mirror are cut off in some places and the image of me that is in focus, is not in the center, but rather off to one corner. My hair is disheveled by the wind coming through the open window of the car and I have a somewhat matter-of-fact grin on my face. Also there are two perspectives of me, one, a little obscured by the other and out of focus, the other ever-so-slightly distorted by the wide-angled mirror. Granted, this photo does not encompass all of who I am (as rarely any one image can do for anybody), but it does give some insight into who I am and, sometimes, who I want to portray.

If you ask anyone who knows me well, they will tell you I am a little 'not in the center' and bearing imperfections. I enjoy many of the oddities of life and sometimes portray an oddity in and of myself. I enjoy the outdoors and would much rather have my hair somewhat blown about rather than perfectly and neatly combed. I am sometimes honest to a fault and every now and then reveal my lack of tact. The most telling portion of the image is the two images. When someone first meets me, undoubtedly, preconceived notions are formed about who I am, what I might be interested in or into which category of person I might fall. And though some of these impressions might be correct, I like to think there will reach a point in that relationship where I will reveal something about myself they did not quite expect or say something which makes them stop for a moment. I guess, simply put, I have tried to give myself enough depth to provide more than a two dimensional character. And I think this image conveys more than two dimensions.

Being 3-dimensional, Jackson, TN

1 comment:

Patty said...

Emily and I were sitting in the front seat of the van one day when she was much younger and she pointed to the side mirror that says: Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear. She said, “I saw a picture in a magazine that had a mirror with that on it and the reflection of three crosses in it. It was neat.” I told her I thought that was a cool idea and ask what she thought they meant by that. She said right away, “It means that Jesus is closer to you than you think.” “I’ll bet you’re right,” I said. Then after a bit of a pause she added, “Or that you’re going to die right away.” lol

I have enjoyed your blog.