21 October 2008

Don't Take Yourself Too Seriously

While my wife and I were still dating, we made a trip up to Bloomington, IL to see my family. While driving we talked, laughed, argued, sang and pretty much had an all-around jovial time. As is evidenced by the photo that follows, we were very willing to take silly photos and, strangely enough, are just as willing to broadcast it for all to see. This photo most likely does not mean much to anyone else beside my wife and me, but I wanted to display it simply for the reason that we should not take ourselves very seriously.

Most people I know, myself included, care a lot about their image. But why do we care? At the end of my life, I will not look back and wonder how cool someone thought I was, think about when we forgot that important person's name or wish we had won that argument with our spouse. We will, however, look back and consider what impact our lives made, if we loved our family and friends enough, or if our lives brought joy to others.

When our short existence here on earth is put into such blatant terms, I think it becomes clear that we are not as important as we think we are. Our daily troubles will cease to be so daunting, our arguments less pressing, and our worries less consuming. But on the flip side, our relationships will be more meaningful, our laughter more enjoyable, and love more intense.

This picture was taken on I-74 westbound in between Champaign and Bloomington, IL. My wife was laughing and I was happy. And when I die, I don't think I will be worrying about who saw it.

Silly Faces on I-74, Illinois

No comments: