15 September 2008

Waking Up in Appalachia

Our cabin was right on the side of a mountain. Driving up the driveway was a thrill and nerve-racking at the same time. It was as steep as a ski slope, making part of the family queezy and the other part excited every time we revved the engine to make the climb. There were other homes within sight, but I don't remember ever seeing any neighbors. Along with the solitude of our home, there was an incredible view. Courtesy of the second-story back porch, we were able to see over the trees and across to the the next mountain. The weather, the natural beauty, the rising and falling light at the beginning and closing of the day was all visible to us.

Mornings were my favorites. My father-in-law would always beat me out of bed, but when I woke, I would sneak out of my bedroom, trying not to wake my wife. Then head down stairs, trying not to wake other family members, and fill my coffee cup. Finally, I climbed back up the stairs as silently as possible, once again attempting not to disturb the slumber of the others, as I exited onto the porch and found my father-in-law already enjoying the cool morning air.

With the early rays of the dawning sun and a warm cup of coffee, we would sometimes talk, sometimes read. There was ample time to gaze out at what the landscape wanted to give us. Providing some insight into itself that those who were part of the scene would not be able to appreciate. We were above it all and because of this, bystanders instead of participants.

This particular morning a heavy fog lay over the forest below. Obscuring our view, but enhancing it at the same time. Time slowed a bit, the fog adding something new to the landscape and providing a serene panorama to enjoy with our taste of Sumatra. So with the wind lightly blowing and the coffee steaming lazily, we chatted and discussed the finer points of life and whatever else came to mind.

Fog in Appalachia, Outside Gatlinburg, TN

No comments: