09 September 2008

Being Pregnant

Being a man, I do not profess to know everything about being pregnant. I have never and will never have a child growing in my womb. And, most likely, will never know the pain and effort it takes to push that little child out of my body. That being said, I do know what it is like to have a wife who is pregnant. So, to this I will try to offer my humble opinion.

Having a pregnant wife is an incredible experience because I see someone I love so much, grow and nurture a child I have never met, but already love and care for. It is hard to watch my wife be in pain or uncomfortable or nauseous or any number of things that happen to her during pregnancy. I almost feel guilty because I don't ache the way she does and therefore can't fully identify and understand what is happening to her body. It is exciting to feel our daughter kicking and punching and moving around inside my wife because one day she will be in my arms kicking and punching and moving around. It is like standing on the edge of the unknown; not knowing what it is like to have a child of my own to care for and nurture. One who needs me and my wife to survive. How else is the baby going to bathe and eat and find shelter and relationships. It will be utterly helpless and depending on us. But finally it is one of the most amazing things to ever happen to me. Because when it comes down to it, all those emotions and feelings are what make it unique, memorable, exciting, and even a little scary.

The following picture was taken on a swinging bench on a dock in Charleston as my wife and I were talking about our daughter and what to name her.

Pregnant on the Dock, Charleston, SC

2 comments:

Katherine Michael said...

This is really good post and picture Nate. You are going to be a great dad! I can't wait to be an Aunt!

mowens said...

Joanna's pregnant?! No way...