11 August 2008

The World is Brand New

I love babies. Not so much the poopy diaper side of them, but among other things, the newness of them. They have just been brought into a world that they know nothing about. They have never seen a person, heard a dog bark, felt the wind on their face or even the touch of another human hand. Nothing is old hat to them, even hearing people talk.

You see, for most of us, we walk through our day not even noticing the majority of what goes on around us. The sounds of birds in the trees, the electric white noise, and the sound of passing cars are all things we have grown accustomed to and therefore ignore. But this isn't the way it is for a baby.

They look around them constantly, soaking everything in. Something as minuscule as a person walking can enrapture a babies attention. They are even still getting used to their own body. I can't imagine what it would be like if all the sudden, I had hands for the first time in my life and previously had no concept of what they are or how to use them. I would think they were odd and interesting and look at them over and over again trying to figure them out. I would grip little things just to grip them. And the world around me would be something I could touch and feel and hold.

Nikon D70, VR Nikkor 70-200mm, f/2.8

No comments: