06 May 2009

Gawking Over Babies

I love watching others look at babies. Don't get me wrong, I love looking at babies also, especially my own, but there is something that happens to adults when they get around newborns. There is always something that changes in the person. Whether it be because they loose inhibitions or get extremely uncomfortable, you cannot be around a baby and not alter your mannerisms in some way.

My wife and I are pretty free with letting others hold our child and so I have seen quite the gamut of reactions. There is the 'Am I Doing This Right?' reaction. This usually involves a timid hold, with questioning looks around the room to anyone who would know more than they do. And without fail, the baby starts crying, causing even more doubt in the holders mind as to whether they are the worst baby-holder in the world.

Other reactions include, but are not limited to, the 'This Child Only Understands High Pitch Squeals', 'Let the Child Cry for All I Care' and 'I Can't Help But Become Ultra-Animated'. Now I must say, the last one is my favorite to watch (also, I think I do this one the most). This is usually how it goes. The person gets the baby in front of them with some anticipation already built up, then peers deep into their glistening eyes and is swept up in the euphoria of being in the presence of such a magnificently innocent creature. They seek out the sheer joy of a smile or giggle. And they will use any means necessary to do so. For a short while they are transported to a magical place where they don't have to worry about a sharp retort to one of their comments or a malicious glance of the eyes. It is in this magical place that they find their own little time of childishness and freedom that often gets suppressed in the real world...or maybe being around a child brings out the child.

Happy Grandparents, Franklin, TN

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

What a great picture! We miss yall...come home soon!

Jo said...

Nate, it has been SEVEN MONTHS. Timem for another post, dude.
-wifey